Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Can I use Lotrimin antifungal cream on my childrens scalp?

My kids 4 and 7 has a dry patch on their heads my daughter has it a little worst. A doctor suggested Lotrimin antifungal cream for my son. (At the time my daughter did not have it) when I read the directions for Lotrimin it states not effective on scalp or nail. Any suggestions?Can I use Lotrimin antifungal cream on my childrens scalp?
Usually dry, scaly patches of skin on the scalp are more eczema / seborrhea related. Fungal infections of the scalp typically cause hair loss and a bald spot at the site of the infection. A doctor can do a scraping of the skin flakes and have them analyzed for fungal organisms, or look at the rash under a Wood's light (blacklight).





An antifungal may work if you definitely know it's fungal, but Lotrimin is a bit weak. Over-counter Lamisil is best. But if it's seborrheic in nature, you'd be better off trying Selsun Blue or Denorex shampoo on it.





Apply some shampoo directly on the affected area (may use a q-tip), rub in gently right on the rash (don't suds it up), leave for 10 minutes, then rinse. Do this once or twice a day and see it that helps.





There are some stronger solutions available by prescription, such as Synalar (a hydrocortisone solution) that can be used if the Selsun doesn't quite get rid of it.Can I use Lotrimin antifungal cream on my childrens scalp?
If the condition is fungal an antibacterial, such as tea tree oil, could make it worse. Report Abuse

If you are worried about putting weird chemicals on your kids heads, why don't you try using natural products. Tea tree oil does wonders for the hair and scalp. My boyss have raelly dry scalps and this is what I use for them. You can use it for several other things as well. Check out this link for additional information:





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oi鈥?/a>

1 comment:

  1. For anti aging skin care, one of the best places to start is with body weight. As long as body weight stays similar to what it was in the late teens, skin care has a solid foundation to build upon.

    Hydroxatone Review
    Top Anti Wrinkle cream

    ReplyDelete